Some Prohibitions Concerning Food, Drink and Clothing
- Wine and all other drugs which come under this heading, whether ingested, inhaled or injected. Allah says:
“O you who believe! Intoxicants (all kinds of alcoholic drinks) gambling, Al Ansaab, and Al Azlaam (arrows for seeking luck or decision) are an abomination of Shaytaan’s (Satan) handiwork. So avoid (strictly all) that (abomination) in order that you may be successful. Shaytaan (Satan) wants only to excite enmity and hatred between you with intoxicants (alcoholic drinks) and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allah and from As-Salaat (the prayer). So, will you not then abstain?” (5:90-91)
- Eating the meat of carrion, pigs, and all other things mentioned in Allah’s (peace be upon him) words:
“Forbidden to you (for food) are: Al-Maytatah (the dead animals – cattle-beast not slaughtered), blood, the flesh of swine, and the meat of that which has been slaughtered as a sacrifice for others than Allah, or has been slaughtered for idols, etc., or on which Allah’s Name has not been mentioned while slaughtering, and that which has been killed by strangling, or by a violent blow, or by a headlong fall, or by the smiting of horns – and that which has been (partly) eaten by a wild animal – unless you are able to slaughter it (before its death) and that which is sacrificed (slaughtered) on An Nusub (stone altars). (Forbidden) also is to use arrows seeking luck or decision, (all) that is Fisqun (disobedience of Allah and sin).” (5:3)
- Eating things over which the Name of Allah was not pronounced intentionally, or that over which other than the Name of Allah was pronounced upon slaughtering. Allah (peace be upon him) says:
“Eat not (O believers) of that (meat) on which Allah’s Name has not been pronounced (at the time of the slaughtering of the animal), for sure it is Fisq (a sin and disobedience of Allah).” (6:121)
- Eating animals which have canine teeth, such as lions, leopards, wolves and the like, as well as birds which have talons, like eagles, falcons, hawks etc. Ibn ‘Abbaas said:
“The Prophet forbade us from [eating] any carnivorous animal which has canine teeth, and every bird which has talons [with which it catches its prey].” (Muslim #1934)
- What was slaughtered by other than the Jews and the Christians. It is considered carrion and it is impermissible to eat.
- Any food or drink which is apparently harmful to one’s body, such as cigarettes and the like; they are impermissible. Allah (peace be upon him) says:
“And do not kill yourselves (nor kill one another). Surely, Allah is Most Merciful to you.” (4:29)
- Wearing silk, gold, and silver for men; they are permissible for women. The Prophetsaid:
“The wearing of silk and gold has been permitted for the women of my nation but not for its men.” (Ahmad #19662)
It is allowed for men to wear silver rings, belts, and have decoration on weaponry.